|Hungteetsepoppi Lodge History.....|
The History of Hungteetsepoppi Lodge # 466
In 1951, Piedmont Council organized a lodge in the Order of the Arrow. During our summer camp at Camp Wallace Alexander, we held the first elections on June 19th, 1951. The first ordeal was held on July 1, 1951 where fourteen new members were inducted into the Brotherhood of Cheerful Service.
We chose the Western Yellow Tanager as our totem because it was a very common bird at our Camp Wallace Alexander, which was located at the lower limit of the Tanager's summer feeding ground in the Sierras. From the language of a small tribe in New Mexico, probably a branch of the Hopi Nation, Hungteetsepoppi was selected as the name of the new lodge, which translated means, "bird with a red head". The original emblem, designed in1955 by Ronald Hughes was an arrowhead shaped patch on a red and white neckerchief. The emblem included a Western Yellow Tanager sitting on a branch over a red and white background, with a WWW at the top.
Hungteetsepoppi has contributed much to the area over the years in leadership and support. After less than two years in the Area (Section), our Lodge Chief, George Hill, was elected as the Area Chief for 1953-54. Larry Thomas, Sr., our first Lodge Lay Adviser, was selected as the Area Adviser in 1955 and served until 1957. In 1956, he initiated the Past Area Chief Metal. Between 1967 and 1973, Don Wilkinson served as both Area Adviser and Assistant Area Adviser. In 1973-74, Kevin Fischer served as Section Treasurer and in 1984-85, Scott Gurendl served as Section Chief.
Between 1967 and 1973, Don Wilkinson served as both Area Adviser and Assistant Area Adviser. In 1973-74, Kevin Fischer served as Section Treasurer, in 1984-85, Scott Gurendl served as Section Chief, in 2003-4, Ryan Zika served as Section Secretary, and in 2004-2005, Ted Zika servers as Section Secretary.
Hungteetsepoppi Lodge earned the National Standard Lodge rating in 1972, 1973, 1975 and again in 1976. Our continued service helped Section W3A become the first National Standard Section in the nation.
© 2006 Hungteetsepoppi Lodge #466